The Legal Resources Centre from Moldova (LRCM) is a non-profit organization that contributes to strengthening democracy and the rule of law in the Republic of Moldova with emphasis on justice and human rights. Our work includes research and advocacy. We are independent and politically non-affiliated.
This activity will be carried out under the Digital Rights Literacy Program, with the financial support of the International Center for Not-for-Profit Law (ICNL).
2. PURPOSE OF ASSIGNMENT
LRCM seeks to contract a consultant / team of consultants (hereinafter referred to as - the Consultant) to deliver a one-day online training on Digital technologies and policies that impact Civic Space for the LRCM team and partner CSOs. The training aims to enhance LRCM team’s skills and knowledge on digital rights and emerging technologies (Big Data, automation, artificial intelligence (AI) and other associated technologies), that can be used to enable or restrict civil society. The training will also tackle on how various national internet regulations and international digital policy initiatives impact civic space, and how to advocate for digital technology policies and utilize digital tools and practices that expand civic space.
The training with a maximum duration of eight (8) working hours shall be conducted online, preferably in early December 2020. The exact period/date will be set by common agreement between the LRCM team and the selected consultant.
The training shall mainly address the following topics / issues related to digital technologies. The list of topics is illustrative and not exhaustive. The consultant should suggest additional/other topics considered relevant to the purpose of the training:
- What is AI and what are other digital technologies / applications that impact Civic Space;
- How can CSOs use technological innovations and AI to advance their work and protect themselves from restrictions?
- How to avoid harmful impact of some AI technologies already in use on the civic space?
- How to promote adequate, meaningful and participatory human rights impact assessments of the AI systems during their entire cycle and implementation?
- How the current international legal framework of fundamental rights and freedoms translates into algorithmic design and is safeguarded in practice?
3. KEY DELIVERABLES
The Consultant shall provide the following deliverables:
- Methodology / action plan;
- Suggested training agenda;
- Delivery of the training for an expected audience of +/-15 people through online means;
4. REQUIREMENTS FOR THE CONSULTANT
The Consultant (company or individual) shall have proven experience in conducting similar activities with at least 3 years of experience. Additional requirements include:
- Bachelor’s degree in any relevant field. Master degree is an advantage;
- At least 3 years of progressive knowledge and experience in at least one of the following areas:
- Human rights and intercultural dialogue
- Technological innovations /digital technologies
- Digital rights regulatory framework
- Good understanding of human rights and civil society issues in the Eastern Europe;
- Proven skills and ability in presentation, communication and facilitation of trainings applying
interactive and participatory based approaches;
- Proficiency in English. Knowledge of Romanian is an advantage;
- Good personal and corporate reputation and integrity.
5. EVALUATION CRITERIA
The cumulative method will be applied in the evaluation of the applications. The contract will be awarded to the candidate achieving the highest cumulative score from the technical and financial parts of the proposal. The technical proposal accounts for 70% of the total score and the financial proposal will account for 30% of the total evaluation score.
The offers will be evaluated based on the following criteria:
Methodology / action plan
Relevant professional experience
Good understanding of human rights and civil society issues in the Eastern Europe
Proven skills and ability in trainings, presentation, communication and facilitation of trainings applying interactive and participatory based approaches
6. APPLICATION PROCESS
Offers may be submitted by individual candidates and/or legal entities. The signed and dated offer shall be sent by e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org by 27 November 2020, including the following components:
- the copy of the registration certificate/extract for the legal person and the updated CV of the candidates, together with a Cover letter, which will contain: (1) interest in the assignment and a short description of previous portfolios/beneficiaries and any other information requested at p.4 above; (2) the name and contact details of two reference persons;
- An outline of the envisaged methodology for the assignment (outlining the overall approach and suggested methods) – maximum one page;
- financial offer in USD, including VAT, with the breakdown of costs (consultancy fee per number of anticipated working days). Offers submitted in any other currency will be converted at the official exchange rate of the National Bank of Moldova at the deadline date for submitting the offers;
- declaration on conflict of interests. In case of a conflict of interests, real or potential, with the members or employees of the LRCM, the candidate is obliged to declare it in a written document enclosed to the application (no particular form required).
For local resident candidates: (a) legal entities are invited to send their financial offers, including VAT; (b) individual candidates – net amounts.
Disbursement and payment modalities will be agreed upon by both parties and specified in the contract with the Consultant.
For any clarifications on the assignment, please email at email@example.com.
LRCM is an inclusive and diversity-friendly employer. We value difference, promote equality and challenge discrimination, enhancing our organisational capability. We welcome and encourage application from all qualifying candidates. We do not discriminate on the basis of disability, race, colour, ethnicity, gender, religion, sexual orientation, age, marital or parental status or other category protected by law.